[GRLUG] Comcast doubles bandwidth at same popular prices.

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 10:26:58 EDT 2013

http://blog.chron.com/techblog/2013/03/comcast-doubles-internet-speeds-for-many-of-its-houston-customers/

A friend in the Houston area send me this.
The piece is dated March 21, and now some
of us in the GR area have it already, barely
3 weeks later.

The same person spoke with a Corning rep,
who said Comcast was running fiber groups
in that area, with a combined capacity of
40 Gbps.  Now owning NBC,  Comcast might
be thinking ahead to various video services.
In any case, it is apparently doing upgrades
here and there.

As for commingling, not clear what you mean
by that.  It is the case the Internet services,
including residential, are big money for
Comcast.  Almost pure profit from what I
read.  Much different from the "cable" side,
where program material costs are going up
fast.  And Google, with its $70 a month
fiber offering in Kansas City, and others,
might still be looking for a piece of the action.

   -- Bob

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 6:16 AM, Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org