[GRLUG] Access or Base?

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Mon Apr 8 13:04:07 EDT 2013

We've got a guy who needs to migrate his financial analysis DB from old
FoxPro (6.something) (which M$ has killed).

One option would be to develop an Access FE and SQL Server (free
version) BE. But I'm not clear about where Access is going (are ties to
Sharepoint for Access and SQL Server going to be essential? Can Access
still be used w/o all that web stuff? Would Access/SQL Server still be a
good FE choice 10 years from now so he doesn't have to re-do it again?)

Am considering building a LO FE using Base with MySQL. Is it "healthy"
enough for him to use, esp if he's no computer whiz? Would he be able to
find someone to update/maintain it down the road without too much
trouble if we're not available?

Does anyone have experience migrating FoxPro to MySQL? Is it reasonably
straightforward?

Thanks