[GRLUG] Old Keyboard?

Dave Chiodo megadave at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 11:24:47 EDT 2013

Ok, I'm in a bind.

For the last ten years (or more, I've lost count) I've been typing on
a Northgate Omnikey/102.

I cannot STAND modern keyboard layouts. Nor can I stand "mushy" I've
got to have a solid click.

On a REAL COMPUTER KEYBOARD:
Function keys keys belong on the left.
Control belongs to the left of the "A" key.
The enter key should be a big L shape taking up two rows, and the
backspace should be two keys wide.
Caps lock and so-called "windows" keys belong in Hell (but I can
ignore both if the rest is good)

Unfortunately, its dying. he a key has been problematic for a while,
and the o key followed shortly after and now yet more keys are
starting to either NOT register, or to sometimes register double. As I
type this I am backing up and fixing very frequently.

For a while there was a company that had bought the company that
bought the company that had bought the patents/designs from northgate
long ago, and was making what they called the "Avant Stellar" line
which was an updated version of a northgate keyboard, but they seem to
no longer exist. (cvtinc.com) They were around $150, and when I first
came across them it seemed to high. Then they went up to $200. Right
now I'd almost be about willing to spend that much - my fingers and
hands are screaming at me from having to pound on keys when they don't
register the first time.

I REALLY would love to find either a northgate 102 in good working
condition, or even better an avant.

If anyone has any solid leads I'd appreciate it.

I apologize if this comes across kinda ranty, but I hope everyone on
the list understands :) Somehow I've got to hold out until they come
up with brain/bluetooth interface technology to eliminate keyboards
entirely.