[GRLUG] GRMakers Social This Saturday Sept 29 8-10PM

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 09:48:59 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Collin Kidder <collink at kkmfg.com> wrote:
> What you say is true. However, my point was that, barring a conflict
> of some sort (personalities, ideology, etc)

The reason these other groups are forming is _exactly_ conflicts of
personality and ideology.

> it is almost always better
> to pool resources and not reinvent the wheel. This is also true of
> linux. Having multiple distros is well and good but having too many
> over nit-picky differences is silly. Having most people pick one
> distro is nice because they can all help each other.

It also means that where one distro leads, the rest more or less have
to follow for compatibility and maintenance reasons. Witness where
RedHat is going with systemd, or where Canonical is going with
Wayland.

> However, I agree, two is not too many makerspaces. I was just curious
> as to whether there needed to be two. It seems to me that that
> question should be the very first thing anyone asks before creating a
> fork: does there need to be a fork? ;)

This was pretty thoroughly discussed at a GRLUG/makerspace meeting a
few weeks ago. And, yeah, there needs to be a fork.

> Personally, I think that the mention of Chris (Boden) might suggest
> that you've met him or talked with him before. He's an interesting
> guy.

Boden and I do know each other.

Further, everyone involved with these alternate makerspace
environments are trying very hard not to undercut TGG. In fact, I
think it's to everyone's benefit that people who are interested in
makerspaces check out TGG as well as other local makerspaces. People
will go where they're most comfortable, and if they're uncomfortable
in one place, they'll go somewhere else.