[GRLUG] Can't upgrade to Fedora 17

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Wed Sep 26 05:55:32 EDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-09-24 at 18:46 -0400, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> On 9/24/2012 5:47 PM, Steve Romanow wrote:
> > Installation is where I always have drama with Fedora.

> Progress! I downloaded the live CD (to Win 7) and burned its image
> with ImgBurn. That didn't work either when I just let it try to
> boot--reached a "Operating system not found" message. So I went back
> to "Choose temporary startup device" and selected the Sony opt drive
> from there. At least now I'm booted into the live F17. Will get back
> to it later to see if the installation goes OK from here. Also will
> first check what happens which I switch Legacy Boot Priority back to
> UEFI.
>
> Anybody have any insight which priority option I should be using
> (Legacy or UEFI)?
>
> Stay tuned.
Update: I was able to complete the upgrade from the Fedora 17 live cd. A
real hassle, though, needing to do a fresh install. Evolution in
particular is a pain. After restoring my home directory, I opened
Evolution, which then proceeded, as nearly as I can tell, with
overwriting my old Evo data in .local/share/evolution. So I had to
re-copy all of that manually. A real pain, particularly when Evo didn't
want to recognize my calendar and contacts. I finally got it to
recognize the calendar stuff by using the Import Individual File option,
selecting the calendar.ics that was already in ...evolution/calendar.

But no luck with contacts. For some reason Evo doesn't seem to recognize
the addressbook.db file and won't even let me import it with the Import
Individual File option.

Does anyone know what I can do to get my contacts re-installed? I think
maybe Evo switched from some other DB format to SQLite. But how do I
convert the old addressbook.db?

Thanks.