[GRLUG] NOT LINUX

Jonathan Jesse jjesse at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 14:52:09 EDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/09/google-fiber-will-hit-89-of-neighborhoods-some-poor-areas-miss-out/
>
> **
> Google announced yesterday<http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.com/2012/09/congratulations-kansas-city.html> that
> it has closed preregistration, with 180 out of the 202 fiberhoods meeting
> their goals. People living in one of these neighborhoods can sign up<http://fiber.google.com/how/> starting
> September 13. For $70 per month, residents can get Gigabit Internet, and
> for $120 per month, they can get Gigabit Internet service plus TV.
> There's even a "free" Internet tier with 5Mbps down and 1Mbps up. The free
> tier requires a one-time construction fee of $300 or 12 monthly payments of
> $25, but Google guarantees the free service for seven years.
> **
>
> About the same price the rest of
> us pay for about 3% of that bandwidth.
>
> I wonder where Google with go with
> this next?  i.e., if that $70 represents
> a true service price, I'd think the door
> would be open to many other cities,
> on the way to creating Google Net.
>
> Even that "free" service works out to
> about $45 a year, or less if Google
> extends it.
>
>   -- Bob

Here's the problem w/ going w/ Google for my TV. What relationships do they
have with the other vendors?  Can I get HBO?  Can I get all the channels I
want?  Or more important my wife wants?  Does Netflix, Amazon Streaming,
Hulu+ work w/ all the GOogle Fiber conenction?  Are there other channel
restrictions?

I don't know how many sports fans there on this list but can I get the
following:  Fox Sports Detroit (Detroit Tigers), Big Ten Network (College
Football, other sports), ESPN (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, etc), could I have
streamed the Olympics with my Google TV account?   If not I can't switch my
service provider.  And before you try and argue that NFL.com and MLB.tv
provide streaming services, look at the terms of the agreement/service and
limitations.

It's all good that Google exists as a provider but if I can't get the
channels I want, who cares if I have the fastest internet connection ever,
until we unbundle sports, HBO, and other networks it won't matter for most.