[GRLUG] NOT LINUX

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Mon Sep 10 14:50:16 EDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 02:36:10PM -0400, Richard Nienhuis wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Topher <topher at codeventure.net> wrote:
> > On 09/10/2012 02:07 PM, John-Thomas Richards wrote:
[snip]
> > > Comcast's primary business is not selling advertising.  Therein lies a
> > huge difference.
> >
> > How sure are you of that?
> >
> I'm pretty sure Comcast will sell whatever they think they can make a
> profit on.  I'm a more willing to believe that google will have a decent
> system to anonymize the data they collect.

But that is counter to their primary revenue stream.  Google makes money
by targeting *you* with ads, thus creating a bubble around you and your
history / preferences for browsing (thus the reason for duckduckgo.com).

Comcast's primary revenue source is not advertising.  My original point
is that the principles of net neutrality require an internet service
provider to not track what I'm doing with the data service I pay for.
--
john-thomas
------