[GRLUG] gitlab or I know just enough to get me in trouble

Benjamin Flanders flanderb at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 18:01:16 EDT 2012

Hi all,
I have a little atom based home server that I like to play around with.  It
has ubuntu 12.10 on it and I wanted to try gitlab on it.  The install
instructions are pretty good.  I have it installed and everything looks
good except that I had to stop apache to get nginx running.

This turning off apache and starting nginx seemed to mess with a couple
other services I had running.  Owncloud and ruTorrent just showed a
"welcome to nginx" screen.  Like I said in the subject, I know enough to
get me i trouble, but not enough to know what I am actually doing.  I don't
even know why I had to install nginx for gitlab, I turned it off and
everything still works.

So my question is, where would I get a good tutorial about how to set up
apache and/or nginx, exactly what they do and how they do it.  Or maybe we
have some experts in the house that would be willing to do a presentation
or work with a few newbie's?

Share and Enjoy
Ben