[GRLUG] RO /boot?

Jeff DeFouw mrj at plorb.com
Fri Oct 19 02:05:30 EDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 01:28:55PM -0500, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> Trying to update a system we built earlier this year, .. but the boot
> partition is read only!
>
> 1) Tried unmounting & remounting
> block device /dev/md126p1 is write-protected
>
> 2) Trying to fsck fails also:
> You must have r/w access to the filesystem or be root
>
> I'm not sure why it was built as md - is this the problem?

md is software RAID.  An md device can be write-protected.  What does
/proc/mdstat say?

Is this within the running system before the update, after partial
updates, or in an update environment?  A change in the md software or
configuration that doesn't match the original environment may have
caused a problem detecting the complete array.

--
Jeff DeFouw <mrj at plorb.com>