[GRLUG] Good multifunction printer...

Michael Glaske mglaske at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 13:14:35 EDT 2012

Looking for a good multifunction printer.  I've had HP printers in the
past, and they have worked well, however, I have become irritated at the
toner/ink logic that makes me replace them with their expensive ink/causes
issues with drivers if you use reman carts, etc.  But I am willing to
consider that they may be the lesser of two evils.  I have used Ricoh
printers in the past and love them, although the toner price is a bit high,
it may be worth it.  I have also used Xerox printers and have hated their
interfaces and drivers.  Basically what I'm looking for is:

1. Color printing, with ink that does not smudge (I have heard that some of
the brother inkjet printers have special ink)
2. Scanning to email that doesn't use an external service.  I want to point
it at my internal SMTP server.
3. Color copying
4. Network ready. Would prefer gigabit ethernet for fast transfer speeds,
but 100Mb is okay too. dont' care about wireless.
5. Must support standard languages (PCL PS), that can be used with generic
drivers if I want to.
6. Duplex option
7. Good paper tray - must hold at least 150-200 sheets of paper.
8. Good output tray - must hold at least 20 sheets or so without spilling
them onto the floor.
9. ADF - must be good and not jam.
10. Toner cost must be reasonable.  I don't want to spend $400 to replace
my 4 cartridges.
11. Must be somewhere between $300 and $600.

:)

Lots of requirements, but I want to buy one that I'll have for awhile.  It
will be replacing what I currently have (WHICH is available for sale if
anyone is interested):

HP Laserjet 2100dn - black and white network laser printer with extra paper
tray and good cartridge - $95 OBO
HP Laserjet 2550dn - color laserjet, I refilled the toners and put their
generic chips in it last time, needs a new drum (small discoloration in top
left quadrant) - $125 OBO
HP OfficeJet 9130 - color multifunction inkjet copier, printer, scanner,
33.6 fax.  Works EXCELLENT, but needs new ink cartridges - $195 OBO
HP ScanJet 5550c - color flat-bed scanner with ADF, works well, USB, - $50
OBO
These all work very well, but I don't want (4) devices anymore.  kept the
color laser because the officejet ink can smudge/run if wet.  Kept the B&W
laser because it's very nice output and fast, and kept the scanjet because
my wife was confused when using the 9130.

Thanks!