[GRLUG] linux friendly print/scan server device?

megadave megadave at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 15:57:45 EDT 2012

Well I got it the other day. I put openwrt on, not debian.

After about a day's worth of screwing around with it I've manage to
get it doing what I wanted it to do.

Due to its very limited internal storage,  I added a USB flash drive
to use as "overlay" for its unionfs.

After some screwing around, (and  bit of swearing) I have hplip, cups,
saned humming along nicely. I decided to leave my parallel laser on
the old jetdirect box I have.

There is no foomatic for cups in openwrt, so I ended up using an
xinetd entry to just make the USB printer appear as a raw
appsocket/jetdirect to cups on my workstation(s), which of course do
have all that. One bit of contention is that openwrt's usb printer
kernel mod conflicts with the one provided by hplip, so that was a bit
of a trick. Also some issues with cups where the permissions on stuff
werent as it assumed they would be.

All told, I'm happy with it.