[GRLUG] gnome tracker issue

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Wed Oct 3 20:31:13 EDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 18:14 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 18:03 -0400, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> > It seems from some stuff on line that in fact tracker does not
> > index .php files.
>
> They at least make it into the index.  It indexes other types of code
> files.
>
> awilliam at linux-nysu:~> tracker-search jsonRPCClient
> Results:
>   file:///home/awilliam/Documents/Development/PHP/jsonRPCClient.php
>   file:///home/awilliam/Documents/Organizations/MI/OGo/CRM%20&%
> 20Hedera/TireSale/tiresale.py
> file:///home/awilliam/Documents/Works/Coils.MD/snurtle-code/build/lib/snurtle/jsonrpc.py file:///home/awilliam/Documents/Works/Coils.MD/snurtle-code/build/lib/snurtle/rpcclient.py
>
> >  Haven't found any explanation about why not. Did see a
> > hint to use ack. This does nicely finding the phrase "php return button"
> > in the php file. Does seem only to work on current working directory and
> > down, however, so I can't search ~ and /var/www/html at the same time.
>
> What have you set it to index?  I doubt it does /var/www/html by
> default.
>
> tracker-preferences -> Location tab

I've got tracker indexing both home and html directories. The problem is
that it's not finding the php files, though it finds lots of other files
in /var/www/html. Also, it will find the same file with the extension
changed from .php to .txt immediately. Thus it seems to have indexed
build-class.txt immediately but never indexes build-class.php.

It was ack that didn't seem to have any way to give results from more
than one directory and its subdirectories at a time. ack did find the
php files without any difficulty.

> > On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 14:04 -0400, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> > > Strange. I created a short file, flame.html, with the word
> > > 'flambolicious' in it. tracker-search did not come up with it, even
> > > after a reboot. Yet if I save that file as flame.txt, tracker-search
> > > does come up with it. And tracker is finding some .php and .html files.

I take the last sentence back--tracker does not seem to be finding
any .php or .html files.

> Has the filesystem miner indexed that file yet?

It seems to index the .txt files right away. Why would it take longer to
index the .php files? In fact now, several hours later, it's still not
returning any .php files. It does seem to return .php files that have
the search terms in the title (e.g., 'tracker-search build-class'
returns '/var/www/html/build-class.php'.