[GRLUG] globbing

scott.tanner at comcast.net scott.tanner at comcast.net
Tue Oct 2 09:49:41 EDT 2012

I haven't seen that particular error, but it sounds like the "list too long" error I see in CentOS at times. Do you see this error on any wildcard matching, or just when the wildcard matches a large number of files ( ie "rm *" versus "rm exact_filename.tx?" ) ?

If its matching a large number of files, try piping through xargs:

ls files2del* | xargs -i rm {}

Regards,
Scott