[GRLUG] Windows network file shares with Ubuntu 12.10

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Nov 27 07:15:51 EST 2012

On Sat, 2012-11-24 at 20:16 -0500, Alan wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-11-24 at 17:49 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > On Sat, 2012-11-24 at 16:23 -0500, Alan wrote:
> > > I'm having an issue with Ubuntu 12.10 and Samba Networking.
> > > I've got some shares setup with Windows XP, Mandriva 2010 and Mageia 1.
> > > I can access them all from each other and from my Android device.
> > > I installed Kubuntu on one of my machines as a test but wasn't able to
> > > browse my workgroup.
> > > I tried Ubuntu with the same results.
> > > I can connect to the Internet from the Ubuntu machine via the Mandriva
> > > box.
> > > Any Ideas?
> > >From the workstations / devices that aren't able to browse the workgroup
> > - does the server even see connection attempts from these nodes?
> Yeah they do.
> > What do you mean by 'browse the workgroup'?  Do you have WINS configured
> > in the local samba or are you relying on broadcast?
> Bcast

It is trivially easy to break broadcast, especially with current
firewall defaults.  If you configure WINS then 'exploring the network'
will probably be more reliable.

> > Can you directly access a volume on the server [ from nautilus, Ctrl-L,
> > smb://myserver/myshare ] ?
> Holy Expletive!
> How could it be so simple. smb://192.168.0.1/myshare.

It is awesome.

BTW -
  sftp://{user}@{host}/{path}
  dav://{user}@{host}/{path}
  davs://{user}@{host}/{path}
 - also work.  And possibly ftp://... depending on some niggly details.