[GRLUG] slow web surfing

Brad Becker bradjbecker at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 17:19:54 EST 2012

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 5:16 PM,

> Adam Writes:
>
> You've verified this?  That they both record the same resolver
> information. Or are you assuming this?
>
> Right after boot what does 'time host www.example.com' say?  [yes, you
> can lookup "www.example.com" - please test with that and *not* with the
> domain of your favorite social media or search site].
>
> Also are you getting a routeable [2001:/8] IPv6 address on your network
> interface?  If so, does IPv6 actually work?
>
> If you disable IPv6 does it get faster?  [ set
> net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1 in /etc/sysctl.conf and reboot].

----

Brad replies:

Sorry, having a hard time understanding a word you're saying.  All I
know is when I pull a ipconfig /all from Windows I see info that looks
similar to what the resolv.conf shows.

The time host thing, assuming you mean do this at the command prompt,
is showing my internal IP and a IPv6 address starting with 2001:xxx

In Windows the url goes to some type of IANA site.

Re: IPv6 suggestions.  Thanks but google is showing other things
needed to 'cure' ipv6 (if that's the problem) for CentOS.  I don't
want to hose the system nor possess the knowledge to extricate myself.

Ah, slide 20.  Should of known!  :)

Fortunately the FF add-on seems to make surfing somewhat quicker.