[GRLUG] slow web surfing

Brad Becker bradjbecker at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 17:07:50 EST 2012

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 5:04 PM, Tim wrote:

> Firefox on Linux defaults to IPv6 DNS lookups.  It won't do an IPv4
> lookup until after the IPv6 lookup has timed out.  Chances are very
> good your wireless router is running a caching DNS server (like an
> older version of dnsmasq) which doesn't support IPv6 lookups.  So you
> can fix this by replacing your wireless router (or at least it's
> firmware), or telling Firefox to skip the IPv6 lookups.  To do that,
> type about:config into the URL bar, search for network.dns.disableIPv6
> and set it to 'true'.  Firefox on Windows defaults to IPv4 lookups,
> likely for exactly this reason.

Brad replies:

Ok you're the second person who mentioned this IPv6 thing.   The
router is an AT&T DSL 2701g model.

I ended up downloading an IPv6 clickable add-on to Firefox that
toggles it on and off.  It seems to be doing a better.  More of a band
aid but it will do ... for now.  Less intrusive that way, less to get
into trouble too. Thanks.

Curious, do all browsers in linux default to ipv6 in linux?  Otherwise I'll
look at others.