[GRLUG] slow web surfing

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 16:34:08 EST 2012

Oh, I see Adam beat me to it.

I had exactly this problem, behind an Actiontec wireless router / DSL
modem.  Turned out to be running dnsmasq, before dnsmasq supported
IPv6 lookups.  I was lucky to have at least telnet access into the
firmware to get a console to be able to debug the situation.  More
recent versions of dnsmasq now support IPv6 lookups, but manufacturer
firmware is always woefully out of date.

I recommend buying a wireless router than can run OpenWRT.  I've had
great experiences recently with the TP-Link WDR3600:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WDR3600

It runs a modified OpenWRT from the manufacturer, so 'upgrading' to
the real thing is done just like a normal firmware upgrade, right
through the web interface.  Easy as pie.

--tim