[GRLUG] Some pixel stuff.

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sat Nov 24 15:57:58 EST 2012

On Sat, 2012-11-24 at 15:03 -0500, Bob Kline wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Adam Tauno Williams
> <awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-11-24 at 13:24 -0500, Bob Kline wrote:
> > Moving along, my desktop, an HP
> > Pavilion a6750f, contains an ATI
> > Radeon HD 3200 display card.  On
> > a monitor capable of 2560x1600, I'm
> > currently using the VGA output of the
> > card to get 2048 x 1280.  Not chopped

The **** "currently using the VGA output of the card" **** might be
relevant.  If you connect the display to the GPU via DVI does it make a
difference?

> >You want your maximum accelerated display size to be larger than the
> >one you are using.

> Where does that get set?  The maximum
> size shown in the "Size and Orientation"
> window in "System Settings" is 2560 x 1600.

That is a feature of the GPU (video card).  But it can also be part of
how you are connecting the GPU to the display.  Display resolutions you
are talking about possibly may be DVI only [otherwise you are talking
about WQXGA and higher - which I've been told by others can be dicey,
that is really at the edge of the hardware.  I've never dealt with them
myself].