[GRLUG] Good deal on a dual band router

Robar Philip philip.robar at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 17:09:23 EST 2012

http://1saleaday.com/wireless/

1SaleADay has refurbished Vizio XWR100 dual band routers for $30 with shipping. (Current low price reported by CNet for new is $43.)

This is what I’ve been using for over a year now. I get good coverage in an old house and unlike many routers it rarely needs to be reset.

It’s been mentioned in open source router software threads, but I don’t know if a successful port has been done.

CNet’s review: http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/vizio-xwr100-dual-band/4505-3319_7-34122884.html

The good: The Vizio XWR100 Dual Band HD Wireless Internet Router offers solid performance and a user-friendly Web interface. The router supports true dual-band and a third guest network, USB external hard drives, simple DLNA, is easy to use, and comes in an aesthetically pleasing design.

The bad: The Vizio XWR100 doesn't support Gigabit Ethernet. Its network storage function can't write to external hard drives formatted in NTFS file system. The Web interface offers limited customization of its settings and features.

The bottom line: The Vizio XWR100 Dual Band HD Wireless Internet Router is arguably one of the best sub-$100 wireless routers on the market, and it's a must-have for those with network-ready home entertainment devices from Vizio.

Phil
—
And if you had a choice, why would you leave Fairyland at all?—Lev Grossman reviewing Catherynne Valente’s The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making