[GRLUG] $50K Prize if You Find Way to Block Robocalls

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 15:47:35 EST 2012

It will. You can't induce a caller to automatically dial a different
phone number. If you could, you'd see a lot more circumstances where
someone is asked to dial a local number, it gets redirected to a
pay-by-the-minute service, and the caller has no idea.

Once upon a time, scams like that occurred, but they depended on the
caller not being able to recognize that, e.g. 1-808-xxx-xxx wasn't a
toll-free number, and having them dial the pay-by-the-minute number
directly and get stuck in a hold queue. (Actually, not sure about that
area code. There was one or two that was difficult to distinguish from
1-888 and 1-800)