[GRLUG] Ubuntu 12.10

John Wesorick john at wesorick.com
Tue Nov 6 10:16:35 EST 2012

They seemed to have made LDAP integration slightly less buggy. With 12.04 I
could login using LDAP w/o issue maybe 1 out of 5 times. With 12.10, I
CAN'T login maybe 1 out of 5 or 6 times. I did have issues with the
proprietary NVidia driver, but the open-source driver works well enough
that I didn't play around with it. I like the Google Docs integration with
the file lens in the Dash. Web apps seem like they may be cool, but I
haven't played with them enough. The Dash is better (after you remove the
Amazon/Ubuntu One lens via 'sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping', and
you can now add/remove apps right from the Dash by right-clicking on them.
You can also now close windows from the all windows view (ctrl-w), which is
nice. The last improvement I noticed is better global menu integration with
more apps. Libre Office now actually uses it and doesn't have issues where
you can't get back to an open doc after using another app.

Also, for those with Chrome issues try using Chromium (the open-source
version of Chrome, it's in the repos). It seems to be slightly more stable,
and the official Chrome hasn't been updated for 12.10 yet. Chrome has some
dependency issues if you watch it install, but it seems to still install
fine, which may be part of the bugginess.

Overall I think it is worth it to upgrade.