[GRLUG] Cable installer

Mike Williams knightperson at zuzax.com
Thu May 10 12:03:31 EDT 2012

I would just run cat5e from a central point that will become the wiring
closet to everywhere you are likely to need a connection. How difficult
a job that's going to be will be determined by how the house is
constructed and how professional you want it to be. Building something
that works and the wires are secure but visible is a lot easier than
making something that looks like the wiring was put in before the walls.

If there is any doubt, I would run two pieces of cable at a time, either
two boxes or a spool of that double-cable stuff, just in case you end up
needing another one. You could use old work boxes (that clip to the
drywall rather than nail to studs) if you want the wires to be
invisible, but you still have the problem of getting them into the boxes
in the first place. And getting between floors is just as hard. Do you
have a good way to do that? Unfinished basement or attic? How about a
laundry chute? At last count I believe there were at least 4 pieces of
cat5 going up and down my laundry chute!