[GRLUG] Supermicro Build?

John Wesorick john at wesorick.com
Tue May 8 15:24:11 EDT 2012

I don't ever build servers as towers.

The last ones I built was two of their 2U twin boxes
http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/system/2U/2022/AS-2022TG-HTRF.cfm Four
servers in 2U! For each server, I put in 16GB of RAM (upgradeable up to
256GB each), 2x2 Ghz 8-core CPUs, 3x128GB SSD Drives. IIRC, the total cost
for each box (=4 servers) was ~$8,000. I had no issues installing
Ubuntu/KVM on them either.

I've also set up 4 of their 2U boxes that come with space for 12 SATA
drives. We have a pair of highly available SANs (yay for DRBD) at each of
our locations. I don't really have the specs for those, but the hardware
was cheap, so they are overbuilt. Again, no issues installing Ubuntu.

I wouldn't be afraid to buy them and build it yourself. It's just like
building a desktop from a barebones kit. It isn't that much work to slap
some drives, RAM and CPUs in a box, and then you have one built for your
specific needs.