[GRLUG] Thunderbird not leaving mail on server

megadave megadave at gmail.com
Tue May 8 13:26:52 EDT 2012

IMAP lets you manage whats in your mail account. It never deletes it,
until YOU tell it to. ANd when you delete it, there arent stray copies
stored on other machines.

You always get the exact same view of your mailbox and folders (and
IMAP supports storing folders on the server, too, unlike POP)

I would never access email via POP. Although to be honest, I don't use
standalone email apps like thunderbird either.

I used pine against a local mailspool until I was in a situation where
I couldn't do that for a while (about ten years ago), I tried Gmail,
and since then I can't stand to use anything else (and I used to hate
webmail more than POP)  pretty much every other webmail implementation
I've ever seen (both other free webservices such as hotmail/yahoo/etc
as well as self-hosted webmail apps the names of which I no longer
recall)..  is horribly unusable to me.