[GRLUG] Persistant search domain

Jeff DeFouw mrj at plorb.com
Thu Mar 29 14:21:18 EDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 08:17:28AM -0500, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> > The point of resolv.conf.tail in dhcpcd's setup is to allow the
> > administrator to specify persistent resolv.conf configuration
> > directives.
> >
> Unfortunately it DNW in 11.10, .. any other thoughts?

In Debian, with isc-dhcp-client, there are directories like
/etc/dhcp/dhclient-enter-hooks.d that are processed by
/sbin/dhclient-script.  You can override the DHCP variables
(new_domain_name, new_domain_search, new_domain_name_servers) and
functions by setting them in a new file named
/etc/dhcp/dhclient-enter-hooks.d/resolv-override for example.  See the
make_resolv_conf function in /sbin/dhclient-script.  In my case, I don't
need my resolv.conf changed, so I copied the make_resolv_conf function
to /etc/dhcp/dhclient-enter-hooks.d/protect-resolv-conf and commented
out the final mv that overwrites /etc/resolv.conf.

--
Jeff DeFouw <mrj at plorb.com>