[GRLUG] Persistant search domain

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Thu Mar 29 11:18:17 EDT 2012

Quoting Nathan Phillip Brink <binki at gentoo.org>:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 08:21:49AM -0500, L. V. Lammert wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012, Roger Roelofs wrote:
>> > This is just a guess, but
>> > On my system, resolv.conf can be rewritten by dhcpd, but
>> > resolv.conf.head and resolv.conf.tail are included in the rewritten
>> > resolve.conf so you can put static configs there and they will be
>> > included on every rewrite.
>> TFTR, but resolv.conf.tail DNW on 11.10, nor are they mentioned in the man
>> pages so I assume they are distro specific?
> Sorry to be such a stickler, but what is 11.10? :-p

Whenever you see an completely unqualified version number or just some
random cutesy name it is generally safe to assume this refers to a
version of Ubuntu.  It is just the self-involved nature of the Ubuntu
community.

Their wiki <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkManager> for
NetworkManager doesn't have current information on how they
package/configure NM.

(I'd think this is a reasonable NM feature request).

NetworkManager uses dhclient in most cases, so perhaps look at
"/sbin/dhclient-script".  It looks like it reads the settings via
netconfig.  Perhaps a static or additional DNS search scope could also
be enforced that way.

netconfig
On openSUSE [and possibly other distros] you can modify
/etc/sysconfig/network/config which supports the following directives:
NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SEARCHLIST
NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SERVERS
NETCONFIG_DNS_FORWARDER

These are applied by netconfig when generating /etc/resolv.conf from
/etc/resolv.conf.netconfig.   Note that these only count when
NETWORKMANAGER="no", otherwise it is all up to NetworkManager