[GRLUG] productivity software

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Wed Mar 28 17:16:29 EDT 2012

At 03:57 PM 3/28/2012, you wrote:

>And updates?

git commit any of your changes locally
git pull [repository]
rake [apply any schema changes]

Much simpler than a binary package!

>I'm not a developer and I rarely compile apps anymore.

No compiling involved - Ruby/Rails is all interpreted code; the only
binaries are the OS specific system packages.

>The bigger issue, however, is manual installation via git
>requires that *I* create a database and run through a number of steps to
>configure it.

Actually, no. You create the database and user, of course, .. but
rake handles everything else. Just like any other package system.

>I switched to Debian ten years ago because its package manager was
>superior to anything else out there at the time.

Indeed! Debian is pretty nice, .. but SuSE & yast are to Debian what
Debian is to the older RH systems.

Bottom line - Rails projects are *text*, handled easily with
git/rake; just a small learning curve, but there are plenty of HowTos
out there.

         Lee