[GRLUG] Mailserver configuration

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 10:32:25 EDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 10:11 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2012, Michael Mol wrote:
>
>> For incoming, that shouldn't be a problem. We have charter business
>> class at work, and I'm not aware of any issues on inbound traffic. (Or
>> any issues on outbound traffic, but we don't have a broad set of email
>> targets. If there were an issue, we'd have to take it up with Charter
>> and get things fixed.)
>>
> For incoming the problem is more service reliability - even business
> 'grade' service does not have an SLA in most cases, .. we regularly see
> service drops for many sites, some for days (e.g. over a holiday).

While we don't do it where I work, the solution I'd want to suggest
would be having a second, lower-priority mailserver configured to act
as an inbound relay, and configured not to send bounces (to avoid
backscatter). This second server would be on a VPS node somewhere.

Sending servers would try your higher-priority server first, and fall
back to the secondary server if the higher-priority server wasn't
available.