[GRLUG] Mailserver configuration

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 09:38:14 EDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 5:12 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> Looking at proposing upgrades of mailservers for a couple of clients, and
> I have beeen trying to decide what would be 'best practice' for one of
> them that has a Charter link where their IP is in a block that I believe
> is on more than one blacklist.
>
> What options have folks used/recommend for handling incoming email? Put
> the server offsite? Run a frontend store/forward server? If the latter,
> what about outbound email?

My network sends me emails when services fail, cron jobs happen, that
kind of thing. Since I'm on Comcast, I can't send email directly out
(reliably) without bouncing through an external server, such as
Comcast's. Charter may have an SMTP relay machine you can use. Me, I'm
not using Comcast's, I'm using my Rosetta Code server as a relay.

For incoming, that shouldn't be a problem. We have charter business
class at work, and I'm not aware of any issues on inbound traffic. (Or
any issues on outbound traffic, but we don't have a broad set of email
targets. If there were an issue, we'd have to take it up with Charter
and get things fixed.)