[GRLUG] strange permissions change issue

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Thu Mar 15 09:10:54 EDT 2012

Following up on this hint, I got to /etc/security, where there's a file
console.perms and a directory console.perms.d. The directory is empty.
The file refers to
 device classes -- see console.perms.d/50-default.perms
# permission definitions -- see console.perms.d/50-default.perms

But I don't find this 50-default.perms file, since ls -al shows no files
in console.perms.d. Not that I'd want to mess with the settings, but it
would be nice to understand better what's happening. I think what
happened was that I installed PEAR yesterday and when that finished the
permissions and owners for /var/www/html got reset. But this hasn't
happened when I've done other installations, either with yum or with the
Add/remove software GUI.

(Fedora 15)