[GRLUG] strange permissions change issue

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Tue Mar 13 09:57:46 EDT 2012

Yesterday I was able to save files to /var/www/html. Today when I try to
do that I get a permission denied message from gedit. As far as I know,
I have done nothing in between to change any ownership or permissions
settings.

I experimented with a libreoffice document, trying to save it
to /var/www/html and got this error message:
     Error saving the document Untitled1:
     /var/www/html/text-20120313.odt does not exist.

Does anyone have any idea how this could have happened? Could an
automatic update have changed some of those settings?
-I don't remember authorizing any updates yesterday or this morning.
-/var/www/html is owned by root with permissions 755. Presumably this is
not the way it was yesterday when I was able to save to this directory.
-the error, icons, and manual sub-dirs under www were changed yesterday,
but there's no change indicated for html sub-dir since Feb 13.
-I am able to save to subdirectories in html which are owned by me.

I fixed it (chown root:apache; chmod 775) where apache group includes
me. But still curious as to how this could have changed over night.

EB