[GRLUG] Display Configuration

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Mar 13 07:05:03 EDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-03-12 at 20:15 -0500, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2012, Michael Mol wrote
> > So, what you're lacking is 3D acceleration? What chipset is that
> > Matrox? (I'm not finding any info on G2003)
> No, lacking Gnome or KDE. Neither will run on either machine <sigh>.
> Doubt that there's any 3D capability in either of these servers.

If accelerated OpenGL is not available you won't get GNOME Shell;
you'll be dropped into GNOME 'fallback'.  GL acceleration is a
requirement for GNOME Shell.

I'm not familiar with either the nVidia nV4 or the Matrox G2003.  Often
you can get acceleration with an nVidia adapter by using the proprietary
nVidia drivers [although the nouveau Open Source driver works on a lot
of current cards very well, including acceleration; it doesn't support
the older generation of cards.].

I also don't know what the requirements of current KDE are; but based on
the about of whining and whinging on the openSUSE list [1] I'd suspect
that something equivalent to the same requirements apply.

A common choice for those with unaccelerated video hardware is to use
XFCE.  Although a new video card is cheap...

[1] openSUSE switched there default DE to KDE several years ago.  Sad
since no group of people can rival KDEers in whining, whinging, and
weaving grand conspiracy theories against their evil developer overlords
(from whom they get everything for Free).