[GRLUG] Linux and multiple monitors

Roberto Villarreal rvillarreal at mktec.com
Tue Jun 19 09:31:15 EDT 2012

On Tue June 19 2012 9:13:04 AM Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 08:55 -0400, Brad DeVries wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 8:45 AM, Ben Rousch <brousch at gmail.com> wrote:
> >         It is definitely still an issue. I had projector detection
> >         fail last
>
> Very much depends on the hardware.
>
> >         night using the proprietary Nvidia drivers.
>
> The proprietary drives *SUCK*.  Trying to do external / dual displays
> was terrible.  It would work, then not, then work, then get dorked up,
> then work again, ugh.  Sometimes clicking detect-displays a dozen times
> worked.

I think for every person with this experience, you're going to find another
person with the exact opposite experience (me).  I've had exactly two issues
with the proprietary driver: one, trying to get it work alongside both an ATI
proprietary driver as well as a Matrox one (yes, I'm a glutton for
punishment), and second finding out that you can't have two different nvidia
modules loaded at the same time.  But neither of these are a typical user
scenario...

Now, if they provide a Triview/Quadview equivalent to their Twinview so I can
stop using Xinerama, I'll turn from a supporter into a cheerleader!

> nouveau has been very reliable for me on my last two laptops and my
> workstation.

And my new non-bleeding edge computer wouldn't even boot because of that
module, not even into "recovery mode".  Had to disable it via altered grub
command line to even boot into the system to replace it with the binary.

It (nouveau) worked fine on my laptop, but is just quicker with the binary.
Only issue is with the third or fourth hibernate without a reboot, then things
can get wonky.