[GRLUG] Linux and multiple monitors

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Jun 19 05:56:43 EDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 03:29 -0400, Robar Philip wrote:
> On Jun 18, 2012, at 4:48 PM, "Mike" <ironmike52 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Given that UNIX workstations with the X Window System have supported
> multiple monitors for decades (albeit not as well as Apple and Mac
> OS), it amazes me that this is still an issue on Linux today.

It works *very* well on current versions given the correct hardware [as
in all things PC-land].

Several previous generation GPUs [most notably Intel] have hardware
limits on the size of the virtual display they can accelerate.  Once you
plugin the second display many of the features of the GPU disappeared.

Driver selection also matters as proprietary drivers often lag in their
xrandr support.  With nouveau [for nVidia adapters] my multiple displays
work perfectly, and can hot-plug displays, etc...  with the proprietary
drivers multiple display are very glitchy.

So it is important to specify what hardware you are using before anyone
can offer any substantive advice.