[GRLUG] GRLUG Raspberry Pi SOCIAL Tomorrow July 18 @ The Warehouse

megadave megadave at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 14:00:00 EDT 2012

Well I actually got my rpi a couple weeks ago (ive got a couple more
on the way) but I'm not going to be able to make it tonight. Weekend
nights REALLY suck for me. If there's ever a any hubbub about a new
schedule, my vote goes for Sunday evenings. :P

I'll also probably be sticking with debian on them, unless this
"raspbian" is really debian with some extra packages. (I havent
investigated it yet)

I absolutely want the debian repos available, as I suspect the way
I'll be using mine isnt remotely close to how the rpi folk expect
people to. Heck the one Ive got has never been connected to a monitor,
on either HDMI or video, and probably will never be. Ditto on keyboard
and mouse. I logged in over the serial port, configured networking as
desired, and used serial and ssh exclusively.

I set it up to automatically USB-tether my android phone, establish a
VPN over an SSH connection to my private server, and set itself up as
a wifi AP providing net access via the VPN when I plug the phone into
it. No need to pay evil telecom for  "tethering" plan, and all my data
is double-encrypted. As far as evil telecom can see, its just another
app running on the phone.