[GRLUG] Multi Home

megadave megadave at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 14:55:40 EDT 2012

Even that will be tricky, as it is likely that both providers have
filters in place to reject traffic with an origin IP address
that isnt part of their network. Full multi-homing requires that you
have your OWN IP address blocked assigned by the RIR (ARIN here in the
US) and peer via BGP to both upstreams.

There are some options, but they depend on what the purpose/application is.

To be honest if you are hosting some sort of web/ftp/etc server, then
unless there is some bandwidth-intense reason
it needs to be on-site, you'd be better off leasing either a dedicated
server or a VPS at a suitable facility.

Another option is to lease said VPS/server, run a VPN/tunnel over each
of the upstream, bond them together and have all your traffic appear
at the VPS/server.