[GRLUG] Old isa motherboard & linux

Cprossu cprossu at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 11:12:35 EDT 2012

It all depends on what kernel you run and the hardware you get access to,
how many ISA slots you need, or if heaven-forbid you need EISA or VESA
local bus.
If you already have the hardware, post it's specs here, including
everything you know.
Slot A Athlon boards (like the MSI MS-6167 for an example) have a couple of
ISA slots, and a processor new enough to run whatever you need, and there
are P3 (slot 1 and socket 370) boards like that too.
If you need 4 or more ISA slots, you'd be looking at a either strange
hardware and backplanes or real vintage hardware.

Either way if you plan to use kernel 2.4 there's a lot you can get away
with, vintage hardware wise. Your requirements will be at least a 486 with
72pin simms (because the ram isn't made of unobtainium), and at least 32mb
of that to do anything, but you'll want at least 128mb.

So I ask, what specialized ISA card, cards do you need to run with this
machine, because that has more to do with this than you might think.
-Andrew Lewton (Cprossu)