[GRLUG] pdf's printing 2xLarge

Don Ellis don.ellis at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 16:29:41 EDT 2012

My wife has been complaining about this a lot lately, both with
printing, and with viewing images.

I think the issue is resolution of the image being printed. If a PDF
is rendered at 600 dpi and the printer is set for (handles) 300 dpi,
then the page will be 4x the size of a printer page. Screen resolution
is (usually) much less, so viewing the image will not be very helpful.
If you have a Page Preview option, that should tell you how many pages
will be taken at current resolution. I think Shrink to Printable will
eliminate printing whitespace outside the actual image, which is not
the problem here.

Otherwise, I think this is a common (increasing) issue that should
have been settled in the mid- to late-'80s.

--Don Ellis