[GRLUG] Windows USB printing

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Thu Jan 12 12:51:44 EST 2012

     A. On Thu, 2012-01-12 at 11:58 -0500, Ben Rousch wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 11:44 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> > At 10:31 AM 1/12/2012, you wrote:
> >
> >> Now it's choosing to print from that printer. But the printer is still
> >> not showing up in Devices and Printers... ????
> >

> > There was most likely a document that had no printed when you started
> > deleting stuff, .. Windoze seems to refuse to delete a printer in that case.
> >
> > The only way I have been able to resolve the situation is to reinstall the
> > printer (plug the printer in to a different USB port?), clear the print
> > queue, and THEN remove the printer.
>
> I have had some luck removing stuck print jobs on Windows by logging
> in as Administrator and deleting everything in
> C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers

Since it seems to be working now, I'll leave well-enough alone till I
have to explore further.

Thanks for the tip re C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers. I'll store
that location.

I installed the Print Management snap-in in MMC and that does show the
Brother HL-1440 along with the other printers and devices. So in future
I'll look there if I have more problems. So nice that it shows there but
they don't manage to have it show in Devices and Printers.

Thanks to all and maybe I can get my wife to use Libre/OpenOffice on her
Mac so I don't have to mess with Windows when I'm working on her MSS.
(Would still have the problem of fonts behaving differently on different
systems....) (No--don't divert this thread to discussion of Mac
fonts....!!)