[GRLUG] Windows USB printing

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Thu Jan 12 10:10:54 EST 2012

Does anyone understand the logic by which Windows handles USB printing?

I had three copies of my Brother HL1440 printer showing in devices and
printers and none of them would print. I deleted all of them. Now my
print dialog in Word (2007) shows 1 Brother HL1440 printer, but it
doesn't show up at all in Devices and Printers. And it won't print.

It seems to have something to do with the particular USB port one first
plugged the printer into. But now I've deleted all those copies--why
does Word still show an HL1440 printer but then refuse to work with it?

I've tried rebooting but that doesn't seem to help. Windows doesn't even
perceive the printer when I plug it in.

Thanks.