[GRLUG] on a PowerBook G4

Kyle dontwantspam1 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 11 14:55:31 EST 2012

On 01/11/2012 08:28 AM, Ben Rousch wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 7:58 AM, Topher<topher at codeventure.net>  wrote:
>> I don't remember how much RAM this one has, but the minimum for that
>> platform was 128.  That makes me want to do something like debian, and strip
>> it down as much as I can.
> I think the base Xubuntu install with no user programs was using
> 280MB, so there's definitely room to shave it down. A certain person
> (not me) who regularly hangs out in the IRC channel and at the
> Wednesday Socials has some experience doing that.

If you can get it installed, stop by tomorrow and I'd be happy to help
you strip it down.  I did a presentation on doing just that a while back
but am unfamiliar with installing to Macs.  If you can't, bring it
anyway and we'll see if we can figure it out.  Right now I've got two
ARM devices that I regularly carry around with me that run Debian.

I'd strongly suggest Debian over Xubuntu if you've got less than 1GB of
RAM and want easy package management.  I've found it to be much, much
leaner in general.  Another option that I've had very good luck with for
resource usage is Gentoo.  Once it's set up, I've found updates to be
much more stable than Ubuntu.

Other things I'd suggest:

1. Don't use GDM.  Use SLiM instead.  Resources are fairly minimal and
it still looks reasonably good.

2. Don't use Network Manager.  Too many dependencies.  Use Wicd instead.

3. For anything you use that requires GTK, find an alternative.  The
dependencies are a serious memory hog.  For anything that you need that
uses it, don't start it on boot.

4. XFCE's my desktop environment of choice, but look into other window
managers like IceWM while watching your memory consumption.  You might
like what you find.

5. If you need a lot of things that rely on GTK, ignore everything else
on this list and just use GNOME.  Believe it or not, I've found you end
up with lower memory consumption due to GTK programs pretty much loading
all of the same junk regardless, so you now have that plus whatever
other desktop environment you loaded.

6. If you're going to go with Ubuntu over Debian, don't start with
Ubuntu Desktop.  Don't start with Xubuntu.  Start with Ubuntu Server and
add as few XFCE (or other desktop environment) packages as you can get
away with.  Xubuntu's chock full of more junk to make it useful out of
the box than you probably need under the assumption that the average
person has RAM to spare.  Debian doesn't seem to have as big of a
problem in this regard.

7. Do regular package audits.  Updates/upgrades like to install extra
junk you don't need.  If you've got a small hard drive, you can free up
a lot of space by removing stuff you've never heard of.

IIRC my system booted into a full XFCE desktop with 128MB of RAM and I
was able to run Firefox (another memory hog) in an actual useful manner
in under 256MB.  That was with Xubuntu, so I'm sure I could have pushed
it further if I had switched to another distro.  Gentoo's awesome in
that regard - I used to run with about 150MB of usage with programs
running.  I've since added more stuff (Bluetooth, Compiz, preloaded
filesystem cache, etc.) and am up to probably 500MB-ish, but I don't
think it's ever needed as much RAM as any of the Ubuntu variants for the
same amount of functionality.

- Kyle