[GRLUG] multiple login on Mac

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 11:19:29 EST 2012

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 5:50 AM, Robar Philip <philip.robar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2012, at 2:30 PM, Bob Kline wrote:
>> Probably wouldn't be true today, and X is open, but there’d
>> still be the bandwidth issue for many remote users.
>
> Today, bandwidth is a non-issue for the X Window System*. One of the major advantages of X11 is that it doesn't ship around bits. It’s a client/server system. You run a graphics server locally and the remote client just sends you drawing instructions—no bits. Back in the day I accessed remote clients over a modem to work from home. It was a tolerable experience.

Indeed; for display, it's great, but it's getting to the point where
we really need it bundled with things like printing, audio and local
disk access.

Huh. It just occurred to me that SIP might work. I'll have to
poke/think about that some more.

>> Besides which Apple is not noted for its interest in open software.
>
> Not to be too harsh, but this is simply wrong. OS X’s core, Darwin, is open source. You can download and run it on your home PC if you like. The UNIX(™) user layer comes from FreeBSD. Apple ships and contributes to open source projects such as Bash, SAMBA (prior to OS X 10.7), Apache, GCC, Clang/LLVM, Dovecot/Cyrus, Python, PERL, Ruby and many others.

CUPS, Avahi, an OpenGL implementation, ALAC. Participation in
reporting of security vulnerabilities. And that's just what I get from
grepping /usr/portage...

I'm not a fan of Apple software, but I can't fault the company for
participating they way they do in the software communities they draw
from.