[GRLUG] multiple login on Mac

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 10:53:59 EST 2012

Clearly "working in" trumps working with.
i.e., Sun's Graphics Group.  A fellow I
knew years ago became Sun employee
number 36.  Jerry Evans?  Worked in
the same group, if there were groups yet
in a company with 36 employees. The
same field anyway.  He used to got to
SIGGRAPH every year.   I remember
visiting the plant in CA, and seeing a
hush-hush project: a machine with a
SPARC processor.

The first Sun workstation I had used a
Motorola 68020.  Seemed spunky at the
time, but wasn't by today's standards.
The display was the big new feature
for people not so long before using ASCII
terminals....  Later I got a SPARC I
workstation, and that was peppy indeed.
A SPARC 5 for home use was less
people, but still compatible with SunOS,
which was really the point.  Plus it was
built like a brick privy.

Anyway, I recollect that News was
short lived, despite that fact that it
was intended to become Sun's standard
windows system.  Didn't happen as
I remember, and there were one or
two others to choose from.

Jumping around a bit, my take is that
while Sun dabbled with the idea for a
while, Solaris never became open source.
And with Oracle now owning what's left
of Sun, probably never will.  BSD was
the result of a sabbatical Ken Thompson
At UC Berkeley.  One result of that was
BSD Unix, steered mostly by Bill Joy.
But Unix was still owned by AT&T, and
Berkeley was not free to give it away.
Just how FreeBSD came to be I only
know vaguely, but it was the result of
Bill Jolitz and his wife - nominally a
rewrite of BSD Unix, and somehow legally
open.  One can probably say the same
thing about Linux. AT&T used to supply
Unix source code to universities for their
CS students to study.  Andy Tanenbaum,
of Minix fame, and others, certainly had
access to that, and Torvalds might well
have too.  His intent was certainly to
write a "Unix like" system, and a casual
user could not tell Linux from Unix.
Certainly from the application viewpoint,
which is the most contact many have
with an OS.

Anyway, more tales of the old days.
i.e., 15 to 20 years ago.  Of course there's
nothing like a loose fact here and there
to ruin an otherwise good story.  It's the
risk one runs.  But at the grander level,
I'll simply restate that nothing much
conceptually has changed with Unix
in 40 years, and all the spinoffs that
have a "nix" in the name have a pretty
clear line back to Thomspon and Ritchie's
original creation, announced Jan, 1970.
Even there the only big change was to
re-write the system In Ritchie's "C" rather
than Thompson's assembly language,
making more portable, if conceptually the
same.  I took a course or two in Unix
internals years ago.  As the instructor
casually mentioned, "look folks, Unix
works." And I'll repeat that the big