[GRLUG] multiple login on Mac

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 10:40:28 EST 2012

Historically, Unix systems were inherently multi-user
from the getgo.  When AT&T finally did get around
to selling the OS, there were various versions
of the login routine however, depending on
what you wanted to pay:  single user, say
4 or 16 users, or unlimited. Unix was essentially
emasculated in order for AT&T to make more
money, and then they'd sell you the functionality
they stripped out of the original code - no new
features were added.  The code differences all
came down to the the version of the login program.

Having origins in BSD, Mac's Unix can
certainly support multiple users in principle,
but I have no idea how Apple has set up
the pricing and availability.

An aside, caller-id existed in the original
5ESS switches.  Being illegal to sell at the
time, the function was simply blocked.
When it became legal to sell caller-id, you
would then pay $7.50 to $10 a month or
more for the BOCs to unblock the signal
to your phone.  Call it pure profit. Obviously
the switch always knew who you were for
billing purposes, so no major new code was
ever needed to provide caller-id.

I suspect the world is full of examples of
vendors making a virtue of necessary, and
charging you accordingly.

   -- Bob