[GRLUG] Android apps

Roberto Villarreal rvillarreal at mktec.com
Mon Jan 2 10:21:22 EST 2012

On Monday, January 02, 2012 08:28:54 am Kyle wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions for Android apps for a rooted device that:
>
> - Are open-source, and
> - Are downloadable as APKs for devices without Android Market, and
> - Work on Eclair
>

> Initially, I've found the following to be pretty decent:
>
> https://code.google.com/p/adw-launcher-android/
>
> https://code.google.com/p/android-vnc-viewer/
>
> http://laughton.com/basic/
>
> http://code.google.com/p/mathdoku/
>
> http://code.google.com/p/osmand/
>
> http://chris.boyle.name/projects/android-puzzles
>
> http://code.google.com/p/shortyz/
>
> https://github.com/jackpal/Android-Terminal-Emulator
>

> Have not thoroughly tested these yet but I plan to soon:
>
> http://beem-project.com/
>
> https://code.google.com/p/connectbot/
>
> http://code.google.com/p/k9mail/
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/perfectviewer/
>
> PythonForAndroid from
> https://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/
>

> The following do not seem to work correctly on my device:
>
> http://fdroid.org/
>
> http://code.google.com/p/kanji-flashcards-android/
>

> Wishlist:
>
> - Battery gauge widget compatible with LauncherPro
> - WiFi on/off widget
> - LibreOffice Writer-ish app
> - Drawing apps (both raster and vector)
> - C/C++ app similar to RFO BASIC above (or the old OnboardC for Palm OS)
> - Pascal app similar to RFO BASIC above (or the old "PP" Palm Pascal
> compiler)
> - Forth app similar to RFO BASIC above
> - BrainF*** app similar to RFO BASIC above
> - 6502 Assembly app (something like http://6502asm.com/ but offline
> would be awesome)
> - Apple ][ emulator (Found one but the permissions are locked down so
> that although it's open-source, nobody can see it.  I still own an Apple
> //e and have access to both DOS 3.3 and ProDOS to use with it, so an
> open source emulator without those would be fine)
> - Task killer app (yeah, I know these aren't recommended anymore, but I
> like my machines to only be running the things I want them currently
> running, desktop, laptop, and phone included)
>
> - Kyle

K9Mail: By far my #1 used app; beats the stock mail app by a landslide or six

Connecbot: Probably #3 used app; only tricky part is having to RTFM and google
carefully to figure out exactly how to use 'special' characters (i.e CTRL
sequences) on your device.  It is a ROYAL pain to use screen or emacs, but
that's not really surprising.  Easy or difficulty of use is very hardware
specific, but It's been a lifesaver app.

Android-vnc-viewer: most powerful viewer I've come across... almost too
powerful (still can't figure out the 'perfect' combination of settings

Droid VNC server: might as well have a server too!  Limited real-life utility,
but you never know...

Openvpn installer/settings: royal pain to install, but once it works, it's
easy to use (requires root)

SSHDroidPro: ssh server... not too much to it, but it works (requires root to
run on 22, but can run on high-number port as normal user)

aLogCat: decent interface to to system/app logs (helped diagnose early k9mail
bugs)

Perl for Android:  :-)

Advanced task killer *: have it, works fine, but don't need to use it that
often

AnReboot *: widget to reboot your phone (and other options) (requires root)

File expert *: haven't found a 'good' file manager yet, but it does the job

Package Buddy *: app to enter tracking information from shipping carriers

Home Switcher *: if you switch between Home programs or like to experiment

Wifi widget *: mine has a decent one; not sure if it is stock or came with the
Home program I use (GDE)

I have a whole lot more, but these are the useful non-toy ones.  Every single
one of these I had back with Froyo... on casual glance, I think most will work
with Eclair.  The ones with asterisks may not be open source though.

Hope that helps, and have fun!

Roberto