[GRLUG] Raspberry Pi launched!

Kyle dontwantspam1 at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 29 23:10:46 EST 2012

What I wonder is why there's so much hype for this when there are other
cheap low-power ARM devices being thrown out all the time.  There are
plenty of cell phones and other devices that'll run Debian just fine -
old cell phones, old e-book readers, etc. - that suit the purposes of a
number of the members' use cases.  Even broken devices.  Who needs a
working EDGE modem - just about anything with WiFi fits the bill on a
bunch of the use cases, and any device that has software control of USB
host mode (most ARM devices I've encountered) solve the external storage
cases.  HDMI requires a phone or other device with an HDMI port (without
an external graphics card on USB host mode or something similar).  Some
of the devices (particularly e-readers) do not have media decoding
chips, but I don't see a need for that, nor even seeing it being used
due to unlikeliness of compiler compatibility in a case like an Asterisk
server.  That may be inaccurate, but it still satisfies a lot of use
cases.  I mean, I regularly carry around two ARM devices that run Debian
(and were not designed to) and one that runs Ubuntu (again, not designed
for it).  It's not particularly difficult.  There are tools available to
build chroot images that often times you can run under Android with
minimal effort, giving you a familiar userland which you can apt-get
install packages to.

Don't get me wrong - the Raspberry Pi is a cool device - but I guess my
point is that even without getting one, the possibilities and wants I've
seen expressed are already achievable!  Go build cool things!

- Kyle