[GRLUG] Linux PIM

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Wed Feb 29 18:04:03 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 05:37:31PM -0500, Patrick Goupell wrote:
> Obviously I cannot reproduce everything a pim can do from a gui in a
> cli, so what ideas would you have for a command?

Why not?   Isn't a GUI simply an interface to the program?  Instead of
widgets, why not a menu system?  (I'm saying this as a complete and
total Linux *end-user* for the last fifteen years.)  Add new contact,
search for a contact, add new event, pop-up an event reminder and/or
play a notification sound, snooze.  I think the elinks browser is a good
example.  It has a simple interface with a menu system available via
pressing ESC.  One can open new tabs (yes, tabbed browsing in an
xterm/on the console), view/edit/create bookmarks, view/edit/remove
cookies, etc.

> pimcli --add "what?? contact/note/task/???"  --whatelse  "required
> by whatelse"   --???     ???
>
> Think about it.  What is practical.

Those are command-line options.  I'm thinking more of a text user
interface similar to elinks or mocp.
--
john-thomas
------