[GRLUG] Raspberry Pi launched!

Kevin McCarthy signals42 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 09:26:14 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Clay Ashby <kingpoiuy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking forward to playing with this. For the purpose of conversation;
> what's everyone planning to do with theirs? Maybe this has already been
> discussed and I missed it...

I have 2 intended uses for them, so hopefully the 1 per person thing stops
soon.

1) I have a Linksys NSLU2 running Linux and mpd in my stereo rack to stream
music off of my main machine. The 233Mhz arm with no FPU is too slow to
decode MP3s, so I encode everything as FLAC. Works great, but it would be
nice to be able to play MP3 files and internet radio, so I want to replace
it with the Raspberry Pi that has a lot more horsepower.

2) I have a VOIP phone system in my house, and it's based on Asterisk
running in a VM on my main system. I'd like to remove that VM and move it
to an appliance-like always-on Raspberry Pi. I've seen people running
Asterisk on NSLU2s before, so I suspect the R-Pi will have more than enough
horsepower to manage my little VOIP system with a mere 3 extensions..

-Kevin