[GRLUG] Regarding NAT and IPv6

megadave megadave at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 11:37:31 EST 2012

<quote>NAT is also a piece of crap as it breaks certain protocols (for
clear example look at FTP in the early days), and kills the entire
idea of peer to peer reachability and end to end accountability (ever
tried to track NAT'd connections through multiple translations at
multiple sites, pain in the arse).</quote>

I'd reply at that site, but I dont see how to do so...

My comment on this would be, "Sometimes that is INTENTIONAL - it is
the DESIRED result to have an 'internal' network which is not directly
reachable by external hosts. And quite frankly, any protocol which was
developed once NAT became common (so ftp is off the hook) that doesn't
work with NAT, is ITSELF broken, IMNSHO"