[GRLUG] Finding the bandwidth hog

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 08:56:24 EST 2012

Indeed, Charter offers 100Mb/s down. They also now offer native IPv6.
It's 6rd, which is similar to 6to4[1], but theoretically more
reliable.[2]

[1] Which means your IPv6 address range is derived from your IPv4
address. No big deal if you have a static IPv4 address; everything's
static. If you don't have a static IPv4 address, then your IPv6
addresses will change every time your IPv4 addresses change. (Which
shouldn't any bigger a problem than it is on IPv4)

[2] With both 6to4 and 6rd, your IPv6 connectivity comes by way of a
relay server. With 6to4, you don't know who's responsible for the
maintenance of the relay server, because it uses an IPv4 anycast
address. With 6rd, the relay server maintenance is your ISP's
responsibility. Period.